For internet entrepreneur Njeri Rionge, Africa represents the next economic frontier.
She says strong indigenous, African-owned companies are needed to take advantage of the boom times ahead. Ms Rionge is as famous in Kenya for her success in starting up several companies at the same time as she is for Wananchi.com, a cable, broadband and internet-based telephone company.
She started her dot com dream and first big venture, Wananchi.com, with the hope of bringing internet connectivity to the masses.
Today the firm has grown to become the largest internet service provider in East Africa and is worth $173 million (£107 million) a huge sum for a firm with an initial start-up of $500,000 (£308,000).
(via BBC News)
Recent commentsBlog comments powered by Disqus
- blowthiswhistle likes this
- bindingaffinity likes this
- lawd-knows reblogged this from africaisdonesuffering and added:
- 18-15n-77-30w likes this
- cracks-in-the-ceiling likes this
- inboccadilupo likes this
- preciousdivineenergy likes this
- kobby likes this
- lawd-knows likes this
- alliwantisdiamondsandlove reblogged this from africaisdonesuffering
- protoslacker likes this
- me-nya-ntaban reblogged this from africaisdonesuffering
- me-nya-ntaban likes this
- missmaplesleaves likes this
- nocturnalphantasmagoria likes this
- tarariot-is-not-here reblogged this from africaisdonesuffering
- africaisdonesuffering reblogged this from prepaidafrica
- major--minus reblogged this from africanbeats
- africanbeats reblogged this from prepaidafrica
- followingmycravings likes this
- emergingandmanagement reblogged this from prepaidafrica
- prepaidafrica posted this